Wednesday 3 December 2008

Bye bye Herdwicks!

It was very sad, but had to be done. I sold my three escape artist Herdwicks at auction. I simply couldn't keep them in and they certainly weren't doing their job helping me to train Fox and Whisper. I confess to feeling a tad sad and guilty but it had to be done.

I've never gone through the whole process of selling sheep this way before so it was a useful experience, though I was glad to have my friend and Lowther Farm Manager Richard there to guide me and put in a good word with the buyers.

As they entered the ring, Richard ushered me in with them. "They'll sell better that way," he said, "These are very special sheep!" he announced to the room. I got the same price for them as I bought them for and was complimented on their excellent condition by some of the farmers watching. Getting £25 per head doesn't sound great but it is pretty good for ageing Herdwick ewes in the current climate. I still wish I hadn't had to sell them though.

7 comments:

Ebonwald Cardigans said...

oh how I wish we had those cute sheep in the States, but we don't (at least to my knowledge!)

Its always a sad day at the local auction here. prices are quite depressed as a few years ago I was getting three times the amount I'm getting now (which is about $440 now for bred cows!) so be glad you got what you paid for them, plus the joy of chasing them back in all the time :)

Anonymous said...

Oh bless them! Look at them looking like butter wouldn't melt!

It's a shame you couldn't keep them but they were little sods! x

Rayna said...

Those are neat. But yeah, escape artists suck :(

Maalie said...

I hope they have gone to as a good a home as the one they have just left!

simon said...

i have seen herdwicks! last year when i was in Askam! great sheep, great place! Very hardy, small (when compared to our Merino) :o)

Tammy W. said...

Jenny, I know the auction route is quite hard to do. I had to take 2 rams last year, and may have to do the same again this year. It's very distressing. But you do what you have to do. Luckily you had a good friend to help you through the process.

Gone2theDawgs said...

Sheep can be enough hard work without having to always be chasing them down too! That was great that you were able to get what you paid for them!