Tuesday 30 March 2010

A Mad March day at Brenfield

What better way to spend a Sunday than with friends, dogs, sheep, horses and the Great Outdoors?
(Click to enlarge)
Following my rule of keeping my mind positively engaged and my body fit and healthy (and hopefully so physically tired at the end of the day so that I sleep soundly) I was more than happy to help out with Brenfield's final Le TREK competition of the Season (part of the Kelly Marks Winter League for those who are interested) on Sunday.
My day began at sunrise with checking the sheep and walking Fox and Whisper, before I got to work setting up the obstacle course (PTV) and helping set up the Orienteering.
I was then posted out to a certain spot hidden away in the forest at my checkpoint, which was nick-named the "Sheepish Beaver"... less said the better!
My job was to record the time that each rider reached me, check with them that they and their horses were sound to continue and then send them on the second leg of their orienteering route after a 5 minute rest.
I don't think anyone has ever been so pleased to see me as some of those riders when they emerged from the trees, some of them looking more tired and sweaty than others!
 Everyone got home safely, by various routes, and the horses enjoyed a break and some hay while the humans grabbed a mug of soup and went to walk the PTV course.
The idea of these courses is to present rider and horse with problems that they might have to overcome when out on the trail. The obstacles include things like ditches, low branches and narrow bridges. The riders get points for completing each obstacle correctly and within a time limit. There is more information on the British Horse Society website.
I was really impressed by some of the riding demonstrated and am keen to have a go at the obstacles myself soon.
When everyone was finished, shattered and starving, we had a lovely prize giving in the farmhouse kitchen followed by a BBQ and beer. A wonderful time was had by all. Well done to the winners!

3 comments:

Nancy K. said...

OH! That looks like SO much fun!
Wet, but fun. ;-)

I always wanted to get into cross-country or endurance riding with my Arabian mare but never did...

Happy Trails and keep that helmet on!

Michelle said...

Hey Jenny, you did indeed win my lambing contest! Come on over and choose your prize!

Tattieweasle said...

It really does look fun and a lot more accessible to ordinary riders than showing, show jumping etc. Looks like you all had a great day mad or not!