Tuesday 13 July 2010

Herding Cats

My Shetland lambs are an unruly bunch.
They are not interested in eating hard feed with their mothers at this stage, the grass is too good and they are still suckling.
And so when it comes to getting them in the pen, they turn into wild little things resembling gazelles or mountain goats.
For some reason the boys are easier to catch than the girls...

but not all of them!
BTW Michelle: that's a polled ram lamb on the right in the photo below!
The lambs on the outside peer in with expressions of "what are you doing in there?" on their little woolly faces.
I give in, new pen set up needed!
At least I the girls behaved themselves and I got half sheared before the heavens opened and the rain poured yet again.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

You shear them yourself? Kudos! And that pollie boy looks stunning; what a fleece!!!

Nancy K. said...

Are you actually shearing all of those sheep ALL. By. Yourself??? There should be a law against anyone having to do that! SOMEBODY should be helping you!

(as long as it's not me) I HATE shearing. And lambing. And ram reunion day. And ear tagging. And giving shots. Thank God Shetlands are born with short tails!!!

;-)

Jenny Holden said...

Yup, I'm going it alone this year. Various friends come along and WATCH for a while, but I don't think that counts as help!! Actually I did them myself last year too. I may not make the neatest (nor quickest) job but I do get a sense of satisfaction out of it, sometimes I even enjoy it!

Glad you like the lambs. I really do want to put up individual photos of them and get my for sale list sorted.

Theresa said...

Scrumptious fleeces on your sheep Jenny! Tolly is turning into a really nice tup as well! Your whole flock is wonderful.